Friday, December 19, 2008

Meet our Employees!

Rick Walker
Mercedes-Benz - Service Manager


What is your position at Keeler Motor Car Company?
My position here at Keeler Motor Car Company is Service Manager at The Mercedes-Benz Center.
How long have you worked at Keeler Motor Car Company?
I am coming up on my 19th anniversary on January 2nd, 2008.
What was your first position when you started at Keeler?
My first year here was spent as a Honda Service technician. I then moved to be one of four Mercedes’ techs. We now have room for 21 technicians.
What do you like best about your job?
The part I like best about my job is helping people. It doesn’t matter if it is one of our clients, service writers, sales personnel, techs or anyone else.
How long have you worked in the automotive industry?
Twenty-one years.
How did you get started?
You could say I was born into the auto industry. My father was always into cars and for as long as I can remember I’ve been getting in his way, losing his tools (he swears my brothers and I would bury them in the sand on purpose) and doing whatever I could to get involved with cars. It’s a hobby that just happened to turn into a career.
What kind of training does your job require?
This job takes constant training. The cars are always changing at an alarming rate and not just in subtle ways. At times the operating systems are completely new and must be relearned entirely.
What kind of skills or characteristics does someone need to do this job successfully?
In order to be successful at a job like mine you must be flexible, able to thrive under pressure, multi-task like you wouldn’t believe and smile through it all. You must be able to talk to and more importantly listen to people and empathize with their concerns. This job requires you to be a technician, a computer programmer, a machinist, a maintenance man, a roaming encyclopedia, a receptionist, a problem solver, a cheerleader, a babysitter and more.
What advice can you give to anyone who would be interested in doing what you do?
It’s not for the faint of heart and if you can’t take being pulled in twelve different directions all the time everyday don’t even think about it! It is difficult, but very rewarding. I can’t even convey how fast 19 years have gone. I am very fortunate to have the support of the fantastic people around me without whom I could not be successful. No one knows everything - no one ever could and every day I’m reminded of how much I have to learn.
Thanks Rick for letting us get to know more about you and your position at Keeler!

No comments:

Post a Comment